interview with Matthew Dotson
Our next interview is Matthew Dotson, one of our featured guitarists for Physics for Listeners. Read on below to hear what he has to say and of course, afterwards make sure to see him in action at our Composers Concert at the Hideout this Sunday the 3rd and our Physics for Listeners Recording Session at Strobe Studios Thursday, June 7th.
1. What were some of your early inspirations with music and songwriting?
My early inspirations were “industrial” groups of the late-90s….I’d say particularly Einstuerzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy and Dead Voices on Air. To be honest I’m not sure that you can hear too much of that in my current music but it pops up every so often.
2. Do you usually compose alone or do you like writing with others sometimes?
I have written with others in the context of a band in the past but the last band I was in was about 5 years ago. Since then I’ve been writing alone.
3. In the interest of the Composer’s Concert coming up and the Recording Session, which do you prefer- recording music or performing live for an audience?
I enjoy both. I took a few years off from performing live and have since gotten back into it and I enjoy it immensely.
4. Have you done Physics for Listeners before? Or something similar to it?
No, I’ve never done anything like this before.
5. And finally, for a random question- What song or songs do you want played at your funeral?
Wow…that’s kind of morbid! I’d say “Beck – Steal my Body Home” (maybe a bit irreverent though)